Free Sites Suck
Let’s be honest…when is the last time you got something for free and it absolutely rocked, was easy to use, and looked great. *crickets* Yea, me neither. A free site isn’t really free with all the traffic you’re not getting and all the church visitors you’re missing out on.
This one truth will save you (and any volunteers you have managing your church site) a lot of time. Ready? You get what you pay for. There is no such thing as a bangin’ free site that did not cost anything at all to make. And a good website is a worthy investment. Free site? Psh..
90% of people will visit your website before they ever visit your church, and if your site is full of your pastor’s 90’s glamour shots and a bunch of free flash animation and looks like something a 2nd grader could draw…then you are missing out on 1) visitors and 2) tithes/offerings from those visitors that would more than make up for your investment in a great site.
Maybe you’re really tech savvy and can take all the free plugins and themes and code them all up till it looks good. But me…I need a premium theme and at least a few premium plugins that make our site captivate visitors instead of chase them away. Free sites use second rate themes and plugins that are clunky and hard to use. You and I can’t afford that!
In my Why WordPress blog I broke down that a good site that you build will probably cost (minus hosting) about 100-150 bucks for theme and necessary church plugins. That’s minimal for the return you’ll see and the capability that it will add. If you want to add media, there are some free podcasting solutions (one from a guy named Pat Flynn at Smart Passive Income in particular) but for non-profits I recommend Series Engine. That’ll make the price for a great site about $200. For the Stuff I Use on nearly every site click HERE.
I’ve learned my lesson trying to build a free site and expecting it to be phenomenal. It’s always worth the investment now so you can sit back and reap the benefits later.
HERE is an example of what NOT to do.
- One of my favorite plugins got an update! - July 21, 2017
- Creating a Church Podcast - May 22, 2017
- Easily Create Pro Graphics for your Church Website - May 16, 2016
- Why I No Longer Use Themeforest - March 31, 2016
- Best Church Website Themes - January 15, 2016
- Tips to an Effective Homepage - September 26, 2015
- Podcast Plugins are Mostly Crap - June 16, 2015
- Visual Composer as a Church Plugin - June 11, 2015
- Grow Your Easter Attendance with a WordPress Landing Page - March 2, 2015
- Best Podcast Plugin for Churches - January 2, 2015