Visual Composer as a Church Plugin
Editors Note: Visual Composer is still a good plugin, but we have moved away from using it in favor of Beaver Builder as our preferred page builder.
Visual Composer is without a doubt one of my favorite plugins, AND it is a page builder that comes as a packaged deal with a lot of premium themes on themeforest. Literally every site I’ve built for the past year and a half has use the Visual Composer plugin. It isn’t perfect, but it is the best way right now to build custom pages on your website without going crazy.
If you’ve been around WordPress for four minutes you know what shortcodes are. Shortcodes are little snippets of WordPress and Plugin specific code that let you do nifty things. Shortcodes = Shortcuts but Visual Composer = Shortcuttier.
You see, visual composer takes your shortcodes and turns it into a layout that you can see visually, hence the name. So rather than having to build the shortcodes you basically click what you want and watch it show up before your eyes.
Now, Visual Composer doesn’t look user friendly right out of the box, but hey, you’re building a website. It’s pretty simple but building a custom site for you church still isn’t the same as just making a new blog post. It takes some work and diligence. I do this pretty regular and it took about 15 minutes to learn the basics of Visual Composer and I’m still finding neat nuances and more efficient ways to do things.
The video with this post doesn’t give a crazy long 40 min tutorial, but it does run through the basics of what Visual Composer it is and how to build a neat page with it. It doesn’t expand on all the capabilities, but it will whet your appetite for more!
Another upside to Visual Composer is that it is quickly becoming one of the WordPress standards for page builders. Why is that good you ask? Because WP standards get a lot of attention from developers. Not only are a lot of premium themes giving this awesome plugin to you when you purchase the theme, but tons of other plugin developers are creating add-ons to expand the functionality of what you can do with Visual Composer.
- One of my favorite plugins got an update! - July 21, 2017
- Creating a Church Podcast - May 22, 2017
- Easily Create Pro Graphics for your Church Website - May 16, 2016
- Why I No Longer Use Themeforest - March 31, 2016
- Best Church Website Themes - January 15, 2016
- Tips to an Effective Homepage - September 26, 2015
- Podcast Plugins are Mostly Crap - June 16, 2015
- Visual Composer as a Church Plugin - June 11, 2015
- Grow Your Easter Attendance with a WordPress Landing Page - March 2, 2015
- Best Podcast Plugin for Churches - January 2, 2015